ARNPEI Standards for Nursing Practice 2016
The 2016 Standards for Nursing Practice document describe the desirable and achievable level of professional conduct expected of each registered nurse (RN) in her/his practice, against which actual performance can be measured. Standards range from professional-specific standards established by ANPEI to the detailed care standards established by a specific agency. They address the practice of all nurses irrespective of their area of practice.
The standards of practice for registered nurses:
• provide a guide to the knowledge, skills, judgment and attitudes that are needed to practice safely;
• describe what each nurse is responsible and accountable for in practice;
• represent performance criteria against which the practice of all registered nurses is measured;
• explain nursing's scope of practice to the public and other health care professionals;
• provide direction for the development of nursing programs;
• provide a basis for peer review;
• establish a context for the development of research questions that lead to the improvement of nursing practice and health care; and
• promote an improved understanding and respect for the varied and complementary nursing roles.
To see a copy of the full document click here