Staff Mix Decision-making Framework for Quality Nursing Care
A new collaborative resource, Staff Mix Decision-making Framework for Quality Nursing Care, is ready to help nurse managers and others ensure their staff members are being used effectively.
The framework is a valuable tool for those involved in staffing matters. It provides guiding principles for making decisions on a day-to-day and long-term basis, outlines factors to consider about clients, staff and the organization, and recommends a process for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating staff mix.
The framework is applicable to all clinical practice settings across the continuum of care and respects staffing legislation, regulations, standards and guidelines that already exist in many jurisdictions.
The framework was created with funding from the Government of Canada’s Foreign Credential Recognition Program. CNA established a pan-Canadian working group of registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, registered psychiatric nurses and unregulated care providers to develop this new staff mix framework. The group based their work on current literature and broad consultation.
Please visit “Staff mix framework” on the CNA website to download the framework and related resources.
• Staff Mix Decision-making Framework for Quality Nursing Care
• Evidence to Inform Staff Mix Decision-making: A Focused Literature Review
• Nursing Care Delivery Models: Canadian Consensus on Guiding Principles
• Consultations on Staff Mix Decision-making: Summary Report
• Briefing note template for staff mix decision-making